Building on the success of Shopify Markets, Shopify Translate & Adapt helps merchants rapidly expand to new markets without added complexity or liability
- Shopify Markets democratised international commerce for independent merchants
- Shopify Translate & Adapt quickly and accurately localises the customer journey, key to effective international selling
- UK merchants on Shopify have sold to over 156 million shoppers from around the world
Commerce is a global industry, with global opportunity. That’s why, in 2021, we launched Shopify Markets to remove the barriers to cross-border selling and empower Shopify merchants to become global by default. Since then, more than 175,000 merchants across the world have used Markets to help launch their international businesses.
Across the region, Shopify is helping merchants of all sizes to sell internationally, as international spending with Shopify merchants in EMEA grew by 117.5% in 2021*. Closer to home, cross-border commerce is on the rise in the UK with merchants now selling to an average of 8 international markets on Shopify – this is higher for UK merchants using Shopify Markets who sell to an average of 17 international markets. 36.52% of all traffic to Shopify stores in the UK is driven by international buyers, with 23.42% of total sales generated from outside the UK.
With over 156 million shoppers from around the world having purchased from UK merchants on Shopify, there is a clear opportunity for merchants to expand to new markets and grow business internationally using Shopify.
Since the launch of Shopify Markets we’ve seen that creating a localised, seamless customer experience is key to effective international selling. Consumers want to shop in their local currency, with their preferred payment method and without surprise duty fees on delivery. In fact, we have found that selling in a local currency increases GMV from international buyers by 7%+, and enabling local payment methods increases checkout rate by approximately 6%**.
Now, we’re building on the success of Shopify Markets with the launch of Shopify Translate & Adapt to make cross-border commerce even easier for Shopify merchants who want to accelerate their global expansion without adding complexity.
Shopify Translate & Adapt will help merchants deliver a local, nuanced consumer experience
International commerce is all about the details. Consumers expect a localised experience. Shopify Translate & Adapt, a new app that works with Shopify Markets, will help merchants quickly and accurately localise the customer journey. Here’s how:
- Translating their store into different languages with both manual and machine translations.
- Merchants can use a combination of manual and machine translations to fine tune and perfect translated content to reach more multilingual customers.
- Adapting custom content for each market. For example:
- Merchants can account for variations in dialects and languages, like changing “pants” to “trousers” when switching from American to British English.
- They can add or remove lines from product descriptions to better reflect how individual products might be used or referenced in different countries.
- And they might adapt content in an FAQ or contact page to better route customer inquiries.
- We know that creating a seamless customer journey has real business impact: translating content increases GMV by 13%++ from buyers who see that localised content.
“Expanding to new markets without a localised consumer experience means you’re leaving untapped potential on the table,” said Shimona Mehta, Managing Director, EMEA, at Shopify. “Shopify Translate & Adapt overhauls how Shopify merchants can build high-touch storefronts for each market, all from a single store and platform, and we think it’ll be a game changer for increasing consumer empathy and conversion.”
Cross-border commerce is complex; Shopify makes it simple
This is just the beginning: we’re continuing to make cross-border commerce not only accessible, but simple. Here’s a few of the updates merchants can expect soon:
- Starting today, more merchants can easily customise the prices of products in different markets with international pricing.
- We’ll soon release the ability for merchants to customise the products they make available in each market.
- We’re continuing to enhance our global postal code validation to power seamless cross-border commerce. Merchants now have postal code validation coverage in 100 new markets
Shopify Translate & Adapt is available to all merchants globally starting today. Learn more here.
Alongside the global launch of Shopify Translate & Adapt, we are also launching Shopify Markets Pro in the US, a new solution powered by our partnership with Global-e that makes it simple for Shopify merchants to globally expand their businesses to 150+ countries overnight. Shopify Markets Pro will help merchants manage the many new complexities they are faced with when selling internationally, like tax, duties, shipping, pricing and payments, and is available in early access to US merchants starting today. Learn more here.